Thursday, June 25, 2015

A LITTLE Q&A WITH AUDREY LAVIN CRAWLEY




First we'll fill in everyone on the basics.  Where are you from?
I'm from Pawtucket, Rhode Island.
Where do you go to school?
I go to the Community College of Rhode Island.
What made you wanna audition for the CSC Apprentice Program?
I went to KCACTF in 2014 and was looking for some opportunities.  My professor at CCRI told us to audition for things and to put ourselves out there so when I saw that a Shakespeare company was holding auditions I was like "well that's right up my alley". I didn't even know what it entailed; I'd thought it was for a show or a production, I didn't even know about the deep benefits of being chosen.
What did you audition with?
Portia from the Merchant of Venice. Its my favorite. I've been doing that monologue since I was fourteen, its the first one I ever learned and I was really comfortable with it.  I get nervous at auditions so comfort was key to nail the audition.  But that's the other thing, I auditioned for this company not really expecting anything. I keep that mindset with a lot of auditions; I audition without any inclination that I will be considered.
Do you think having that mentality with auditions helps you with your performance?
It must have [laughs]
Who are you playing in Macbeth?
I am playing the third witch.I'm very excited because I've been in Macbeth before and I played Hecate.
What are you looking forward to most looking ahead?
I'm really looking forward to be working closely to King Lear.  We're all understudying various small parts but at the same time that's what I've been most excited about the program - to sort of work from the bottom of a professional theatre company of Boston.  Even if I understudy someone with no lines I don't care. 
What do you think will be most challenging looking ahead?
This program has really made me work harder than I've ever had to work.  Having to get off book with so many different projects in such a little amount of time is definitely the biggest challenge, 
What was some theatre that inspired you growing up?
I went to go see Our Town at Trinity Repertory with my mom when I was thirteen.  The wonderful Barbara Meek was playing the stage manager.  By the end of the show we were both crying and I just remember turning to my mom and saying something along the line of "thats what I wanna do" and she said "oh you wanna act on stage" and I said "no, no, no. Deeper than that.  I want to be so good, so honest, in a performance, like Barbara Meek was, so I get people in the audience who are like us to feel something". I know those are really profound thoughts to have at eleven and that's probably not exactly what I said but that's how I remember feeling.
Can you describe yourself in three Shakespearean characters?
I see a lot of myself in Beatrice and Portia would be number two I suppose...
We can always come back to the last one.
Yeah let me muse on it for a minute...
Whats your favorite film adaptation of Shakespeare?
I immediately think of Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado.  Much Ado is my favorite play and I think the movie has a strong cast of actors whom I personally admire. I mean I love Kenneth Branagh to the moon and back. And I like Denzel Washington in it! Who'da thought?  Also, the movie was made the year I was born...its a sign.
Why do you think we still do Shakespeare today?
William Shakespeare has always seemed to me as someone profoundly ahead of his time.  And also, when I think about that question, I think about how he laid the groundwork for all the typical stories of today. He wrote about all kinds of people, poor people, rich people, old people, young people, angry people, any kind of people you can think of he's got in one of his stories. 
Now, lastly, before I turn the recorder off, who's that third person?
Titania from Midsummer.  
Before I let you go is there anything you'd like to add?
Just that I'm so incredibly grateful to be here, being given this opportunity to grow as an actor, and meet all these people from all these different colleges.  I'm really excited for the weeks to come.














No comments:

Post a Comment